No matter what age, vitamins and mineral are essential for your health. However, it is important to understand that as you get older, your body changes. Thus, your body requires different amounts of vitamins and nutrients. Here are some vitamins and minerals that are essential for seniors 51 and older.
Vitamins help your body grow and function properly. They help fight off infections, maintain a healthy nervous and blood system, and give your body energy.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is a unique vitamin because it can be synthesized in your body from the sun. You can also get vitamin D from fatty fish, fortified milk and and cereals. Seniors should receive at least 600 IU per day.
- Vitmain B12: Some people over the age of 50 have trouble absorbing B12, which may cause deficiencies. Seniors need 2.4 mcg per day. You can get b12 from proteins and fortified foods.
- Vitamin B6: B6 can be found in organ meats and whole grains. Women need 1.5 mg and men need 1.7 mg per day.
- Folate: Folate can be consumed through dark leafy green vegetables and fruit. Seniors need 400mcg per day.
Minerals also help your body grow and function properly. Minerals help maintain strong bones and a healthy blood system. Minerals can be consumed through your diet.
- Calcium: Calcium is important to maintain strong bones and teeth. Seniors risk bone loss due to aging and medical conditions. Calcium can be found in milk products and dark leafy green vegetables. Women over 50 should receive 1,200 mg per day and men should receive 1,000 mg.
- Sodium: Sodium is a mineral that you want to consume less of. While sodium is necessary in the body, too much sodium can raise blood pressure, especially in seniors. Sodium intake should be less than 1,500 mg per day.
We Are Here to Help
At Family Bridges Home Care, we know the importance of paying attention to a seniors health and notifying you immediately if there are any issues. We can work with the recommended guidance from you and the senior’s doctor to ensure they are safe and healthy at all times. Contact Family Bridges at (888) 900-0048 or by our contact form here.