When dealing with elders and caring for them in your home, they may develop these 4 common skin problems such as itchy skin, fungal infections, shingles and pressure ulcers.
You should seek a doctor for any serious issue. However, the HealthinAging.org provides the following suggestions for treating each skin problem:
This problem occurs more often during the cold season due to low humidity. Some suggestions are:
- Rub the skin with lotion, body oil or moisturizer after showing or bathing.
- Don’t take excessive showers which can dry the skin.
- Shower with glycerin soap or one with a moisturizer.
- Wash bed sheets and clothing frequently.
- Ensure the senior drinks proper amounts of water, while staying away from caffeine and alcohol.
- Use a humidifier to add moisture in the air.
- Bath with colloidal oatmeal and use calamine lotion or cortisone cream after.
- Trim a seniors nails to reduce aggressive itching which can cause damage.
These type of skin problems happen in the damp parts of the body such as under armpits. To prevent, you should make sure the senior takes occasional showers or baths, changes their socks daily and wears loose clothing.
To treat, you can use over the counter anti-fungal products.
This is a disease that causes fatigue, chills, headaches, and skin blisters. Once the blisters turn into a rash, it can a few weeks to heal. During this time, it is advised to keep the skin clean and dry.
Pain medicine can help reduce the pain but it is advised to go to the doctor for prescription drugs to help with severe symptoms.
Pressure ulcers happen when an elder is in one place frequently like a wheelchair or bed. The constant pressure on the skin prevents sufficient blood flow, causing skin blisters or sores. To prevent pressure ulcers, you can perform the following:
- Reposition every 1-2 hours
- Keep bed sheets flat to prevent wrinkles from causing further pressure
- Encourage them to be active and move around occasionally
- Massage to help with circulation.
- Use heel and elbow protectors.
- Ensure a proper diet.
Family Bridges Home Care is here to help your senior live comfortably while preventing common skin problems that may arise. Please contact us via email or phone at (888) 900-0048 to discuss how our caregivers can ensure your senior is living well.